Back to Basics (Part 1)

Grocery shopping is a bit of a nightmare when it comes to avoiding plastic. Recently, speculations about whether supermarkets are going to introduce a "plastic-free aisle" have been flying around, but they don't seem to be happening yet. As I have been writing this post, The One Show on BBC1 aired an episode about plastic which opened a really important and useful conversation about recycling and different people's roles in reducing plastic (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer).

Being someone who already avoided single-use plastic when food shopping, making changes to avoid it has been less drastic than it would be for some. Remember that you can only do what is possible for you and that it's a lot more difficult when you have a family and a full-time job. There are a few basic changes that most people can make without much effort at all. The aim of this post is to outline 5 simple changes you can make; a few you probably already do, and others that may be new!

1) Remember Reusable Carrier Bags 
A very original suggestion which we all know we should do, but this is just a reminder to keep bags in your car boot or in your handbag! The proportion of people using reusable bags at the supermarket has flown up since the 5p carrier bag introduction in England in 2015. It's reported that in 2016-2017, 83% fewer carrier bags were issued by the 7 main supermarkets than in 2014, indicating the charge's success (all this info can be found on the government website https://www.gov.uk). While supermarkets still sell carrier bags, "bags for life" have become much more popular. I personally prefer to opt for a canvas bag or a recycled material bags as they last much longer than the bags for life that supermarkets sell, plus they can often be much more compact and can look nice too. My favourite bags were from a company called Onya, which made bags out of recycled plastic bottles. Unfortunately, Onya stopped selling last year so I need recommendations for other good companies! My wonderful auntie also made me a reusable bag last week which I am modelling delightfully below. If you fancy getting creative then you can make your own!



2) Reusable Produce Bags
I think this is the simplest change you can make that will have the least effect on you. Don't buy pre-packaged groceries, buy the ones that are loose and bring your own bags for them. My favourite Onya bags were my little produce bags that allow me to buy loose fruit, vegetables and bread etc. without using any plastic. They are compact and can stay in your handbag for when you need them (if, like me, your handbag is full of everything you could possibly need). I've looked to find an equivalent online for these mesh bags now that Onya have stopped making them (https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing), but I haven't tried these particular ones, so let me know if you find any that work well for you. Making this switch is super easy, plus there is a bonus in that you get to pick exactly which veg you want, so that you don't end up with a manky potato in your pack (no-one wants the disappointment of a manky potato). One of my shops is in the picture below, featuring the produce bags that I use for my veg.


Insight into my really exciting shop (the sanitary towels were a matter of emergency and a source of annoyance)

3) Tupperware for Meat and Cheese
Meat can be really difficult to buy disposable plastic free because it often comes in black plastic to make it look better, as well as the film to keep it sealed. Black plastic is very difficult to recycle so is best to avoid altogether. My suggestion, which I know that people do, is asking at the butcher counter whether they are happy to put the meat straight into your own container. This way you should only have the label to contend with! You can do exactly the same with cheese, though if you are working to a budget I can appreciate that cheeses off the counter can be more expensive. The point is that it is worth just asking the awkward question once to find out whether you can save a whole lot of plastic waste. Unfortunately, I have had to buy some plastic Tuppaware to do this, as buying metal containers was way out of budget, plus I couldn't find any that were suitable. But, these containers should last me a long time so it's a more worthwhile use of plastic. Other alternatives include switching to meat-free and using alternative protein sources such as Quorn, which frequently comes in cardboard packaging. 

4) Make your Own Snacks!
I have walked the snack aisle in the supermarket to no avail; there is next to nothing that isn't packaged in plastic. For those people who like to snack (e.g. me), this can be a hiccup in reducing their plastic use (like the biscuits at work being too much of a temptation). I think the best way to deal with this, if you have time, is by making snacks yourself. Making a batch of oat biscuits (https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes) or dried fruit and nut bars (https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/) can be fun and also better for the environment. You just have to remember to make time to do so and to try out different recipes so you don't get put off the first time something doesn't taste fantastic. Also, remember to stock your ingredients plastic free too. Scots Porage Oats come without any plastic bag if you are looking to make some oat-based treats, plus fruit and nuts can be sourced from some shops that let you take your own containers (e.g. Lidl sometimes has nut sections).

5) Shopping Local
The way to make all of the above easier is by shopping locally at small shops such as bakeries and butchers. Delicatessens may be much happier to put cheese into Tupperware than big superstores, plus you will be contributing to your local economy. It is understandable that this isn't an easy change or isn't an option for some people as time and distance is an issue. However, making use of your local market once a week for vegetables means that you have wider and fresher choice, can reduce your spending and plastic, plus you get a more interactive experience. If you want to get even more local, you can try growing your own and enjoy spending some time outside. Whether you try going minimal with herbs in a small pot or become dedicated to an allotment, you can reap the benefits plus have the sweet satisfaction that the food you are eating was helped along by your own hands.

I've really appreciated the feedback on my previous posts, and would love to hear more suggestions! I hope everyone can try making at least one of these adjustments, so let me know how it goes.

Thanks for reading,

Liv

P.S. If any of you are on twitter and want to follow me, I share my blog and articles about plastic pollution/solutions on there (https://twitter.com/LivCooper23)

Comments

Popular Posts